614 replies to this topic

#1 Mummyminister

Mummyminister

On eagle's wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Lovely sun today and I was finishing work at 3 to pick dd up from her first day back so decided to do some gardening while the going was good - the walk to school just happens to go past an old fashioned hardware/ everything shop that has a very good plant section outside Posted Image So I prospected on the way back this morning and took my purse this afternoon!
Sorted out the front border - tied back the tomatoes which were taking over, pulled up old pansies and wallflowers and sweet peas and planted some more wallflowers, some cyclamen, some ornamental kale and a huge yellow garden chrysanthemum which I managed to split into three. Very pleased!
Some edible kale seedlings from mum went into an empty pot and I've decided where to put the zebra grass cutting from someone at work - which will entail clearing another load of forsythia - I do like it but it has rather taken over a lot of the garden!
Found some more maincrop salad potatoes in the pot for tea - our second meal from this pot - not sure there will be any more as I was rather late getting them in this year and maincrop really aren't best for pots, however deep they are.
Finished with watering in the new planting and watering all the pots while I was at it. Very satisfying!

Hope tomorrow is this nice then I can paint some more fence - there's rather a lot even if some of it I'm only going to be able to paint one side as the other side is covered with ivy or yet more forsythia.

me 45, dd 12, adult adopted daughters dR and dS, cats Casper and Fern. 

15421145580_c93e243465_t.jpg

Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength

they shall rise upon wings as eagles

they shall run and not be weary

they shall walk and not faint

help us Lord, help us Lord in your way

#2 Mummyminister

Mummyminister

On eagle's wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

OK, I've been playing with the gallery so here's some photos of what I've been up to today. File size is very small and quality not great as they were taken on my phone and emailed before being uploaded. Also I'm not a garden designer, rather I have a plonk it in the ground where there's a space type approach :lol:

can't seem to insert a photo from the gallery so here's a link!

#3 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,056 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

That looks pretty! My garden is a mess. I've hardly even mowed the lawn this year. :icon_redface:

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

#4 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,789 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

That looks like a lovely garden :icon_redface:

I've had a disaster with the courgettes this year ... powdery mildew. It always happens but this year it's taken over. I've had some good beetroot, a few carrots, plenty of lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes. So that will do. And beans, first broad now runner.

The flowers have to sink or swim ... they're just filling in the spaces where veg won't grow! But I grew some foxgloves from seed and they were magnificent. I have lots of helebore and hardy geranium around the place, which always give a good display.

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My Blog The Hen Garden Recipe Book
DH = Josiah; two girls all grown up; and my mother who now lives with us.
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#5 Mummyminister

Mummyminister

On eagle's wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

Its been a bad year for courgettes - I've had very few and the powdery mildew has taken over mine as well. Plenty of lettuce/spinach beet/ rocket though and some herbs. A reasonable amount of tomatoes, although nowhere near as much as dd and I want to eat! Desperately hoping that the three surviving carrots grow big enough to eat as baby carrots - dd planted them and has been eagerly watching them grow and keeps peeking under the soil to see if they are big enough to eat yet Posted Image They were a last minute addition, rather late and in unprepared soil so its a bit risky!
My veg garden is actually mostly a container one - I have a small yard around the house with soil at the edges - pretty well what you see in the front is the same all round - and large trees overshadowing a good section of it. I will dot more edibles in with the flowers in the front bed next year I think - aiming to clear more of the overgrown forsythia and crocosmia further along - its easily the sunniest part of the garden. Rainbow chard and possible beetroot would be nice and decorative and maybe dwarf beans if I can find a way to keep the slugs and snails off Posted Image

Don't you love garden planning!

#6 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

We've had loads of potatoes this year as well as onions, purple brocolli, beetroot, cauli's, peas, strawberries and currently have masses of green tomatoes waiting to ripen. We palnted an apple trr in the hols and the apples on it should be just about ready according to the plant guide.

Your garden looks great Hannah2.

We keep moving the rabbit and guinea pig around the grass to try and avoid cutting it!!

Edited by karen3, 03 September 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#7 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,789 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

We tried a green manure last winter and had a bit of a disaster ... but watching Gardeners World last evening, we think we'd like to give it another try. We have six veg beds, and it would be good to have some colour/cover in them during the winter :fing22:

click on the green manure video part way down the page

So I found some supplies here ... will let you know how we get on.

#8 hat'n'coat

hat'n'coat

Youth & Children's Evangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

I am sorry to hear you ladies with courgette problems - we've been struggling to keep up with eating ours; I've even been giving some away, and I only put in 3 plants. They were spectacular yellow ones - I got quite a shock when they started fruiting! - so I have no idea what variety and if they're hardier than green ones or I just got lucky!

My carrots are possibly the biggest disappointment - they've been well eaten by carrot fly worms and are the MOST peculiar shapes and sizes (they really wouldn't pass the supermarket test...... but we're still eating them! :lol:)

We planted a big bag of 'pink fir' potatoes which were reduced in the local garden centre (no idea if they're earlies or main crop - we've had about 1kg off each plant for the last couple of weeks!) Now these ARE peculiar - they're long and thin and red-skinned (which cook out completely white-fleshed!), but grow lots of bulblets off each corm in all directions so they come out of the ground looking like alien space-stations or something! Mmmm, but do they taste good!

And I put rather too many bean plants in - I'd already planted a dozen white flowered ones when the next door neighbour handed another half dozen red-flowered plants over the fence and I couldn't bear to waste them! Good job we like runner beans!!!!!!!!!!!! Given quite a lot of those away too! We did try a blind taste trial to see if we could tell the difference between the beans - the red flowers produce red skinned beans inside the pod and the white flowers produce plain green-skinned beans inside the pod, so they look quite different, but we couldn't tell them apart eating wise :icon_wink: Best cooking variation apart from just steamed which we love - works hot or cold in salad - blanch sliced beans, stir fry in a little sesame oil, then toss in roasted sesame seeds and a little sea salt - Yum!

My tomatoes have gone demented - the stems are really thick and stiff like a giant's arm and the foliage is completely and utterly rampant despite me trying to pluck out those extra shoots between leaves. They're so heavy I can't lift the stems up - we did have them staked but not very high - so they're mostly going au naturel along the ground, and most of the tomatoes are buried deep inside the mass, so how they'll ripen I don't know - the sun can't possibly penetrate the jungle of stems!

And I was really late getting my pumpkins in - didn't think they'd do anything (I tried again after the pigeons availed themselves of the first lot!) - but they've grown like triffids - we left 3 tiny little plants and came back 1 week later to these great trailing 10ft tentacles feeling their way across the garden, with one pumpkin growing so fast that it looks like someone's going out every night to inflate it with a bicycle pump!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to eat it :icon_wink:

Whatever will I do when I can't pick veg from the garden anymore? :icon_eek:
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel..." (Ephesians 6:19)

#9 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

We love popping in the garden and getting the veg we need. Have just dug up a massive sack of potatoes, and have lots of onions to go at too.

#10 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,789 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

I don't have the space to grow maincrop potatoes ... well done you!

DH has just moved a compost bin ... complete with some of the compost that hadn't yet rotted down :icon_wink: When I've used the pile of good compost he left behind, I shall plant a buddleia there for the butterflies :lol: It should grow well!

#11 Fru

Fru

• PipPipPip
  • 71,664 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

I bought a buddleia last year, but for various reasons had to keep it in the pot. It didn't do too well. ealier this year, I transplanted it into a really big pot and it's done really well. (I wanted it in the small 'bed' under the kitchen window, which doesn't actually have soil in, so everything in that small border has to be potted - but it seems to like the spot, full sun until lunchtime).

Recently stayed with dh's brother and family, and dd and i feel inspired by their efforts in their new to them allotment (acquired in May - they've done loads!). Trouble is, altho our garden is large, we're very overshadowed on all sides by huge trees, that cut so much light out. Plus dh doesn't want me to dig into the lawn, so am wondering about trying some container veggies for next year, possibly along the side of the lounge, which would get afternoon dappled sunshine. Is that enough? Or should I go for the far back corner, which whilst under trees, might get fuller sun most of the day (and risk drying out, and is beyond hose pipe reach).

Ho hum - keen, but completely inexperienced! (Did have veg plot when first married, very successful, but already 'there' iyswim, so didn't have to think about where to put it, just used it!)

Dh 55; Me 51; ds1 24 (aslan); ds2 22; dd 18 (narnia); Cats Midnight and Meadow

#12 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,789 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Some veg do really well in light shade ... lettuce and spinach for example. As for dry patches ... get as much home-made compost in the ground as you can, that will help a lot.

#13 Fru

Fru

• PipPipPip
  • 71,664 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

:( think I'll have to think about that bit when my back's not so bad as it currently is :rolleyes:

#14 leona

leona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

well we were growing potatoes in a grow bag , carrots ,tomatoes and chilli's they grew really well although i think we had too many tomatoe plants in one space there wasn't enough room , the carrots didn't grow well and wern't even edible and as for the rest iam affraid to say we killed them off , yes all of them :) we kept forgetting to water them , how bad is that , thankfully my grandad has an allotment so we haven't missed out :icon_lol:
married to dh 6yrsPosted Image
mummy to dd1 4yrs and dd2 2yrs Posted Image

#15 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

our Ds was really keen on keeping the vegetables watered.

We have just eaten the 6 apples from the tree,really sweet and tasty. not sure i can remember what we need to do with it now tho.

#16 erica

erica

follower

• Homegroup
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,256 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

i realised this morning that there was no floiage left at all on my berberis in the front garden.... it would look like we have had an attack of sawfly larvae :) seehere pretty gutted .... not sure what the best line of actoin is..... will try and do some more research in the next few days...

Erica
"God is strong and can help you not to fall.....To him be glory..... now and forever"Jude 24-25, (NCV)

me 42 dd1 15 ds 12 dd2 8

#17 Fru

Fru

• PipPipPip
  • 71,664 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

:lol: that looks very similar to what's been decimating one of my rose bushes :)

#18 erica

erica

follower

• Homegroup
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,256 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Have read that I should upturn an umbrella and shake the larvae into it and then deposit them at the other end of the garden ad they will then starve cos they only eat the berberis apparently.... Either that or spray it.... But it's a big berberis to spray... When I get a few spare minutes I'll find an umbrella perhaps... I'm amazed at the amount of leaf they have consumed though!!!

Erica
"God is strong and can help you not to fall.....To him be glory..... now and forever"Jude 24-25, (NCV)

me 42 dd1 15 ds 12 dd2 8

#19 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,789 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

They'll strip an adult gooseberry bush overnight ... so I'm not surprised!

Take a look at the link here, about halfway down the page.

#20 Autumn

Autumn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,473 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

The garden's (well, yard really!) now looking fab! :D
We have this *bit* which is always a problem...a couple of years ago I put play bark down, which looked really good, but the cat thought it was a giant litter tray :( Since then, it's been a mess, covered with old bits of bark that hadn't already been binned, and dead leaves, broken brick ends which dh dug up when he buried the poor cat and abandoned/broken pots etc. Now it's completely cleared, and I've put fresh new bark down, and it looks fab! :icon_mrgreen: Now we don't have a cat, it will stay looking fab. It's only a temporary solution (I want it turfed) but it'll do for this year :D So pleased!

I'm attempting to garden with a religious theme this year. I have 2 bleeding hearts, one red which signifies the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and one white, for the Immaculate Heart of Mary. I have a deep red rose next to my Mary statue, some lilies, and I want a passion flower, for it's religious symbolism :wub:

Oh, and I discovered that between them, the 2 boys planted broad bean seeds in just about every available pot yesterday! I've put some in the trough I had planned to use, but have the feeling that broad beans are just going to spring up everywhere this year! :lol:

Edited by Autumn, 21 April 2011 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users