48 replies to this topic

#1 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Am going to look back in tea tonight thread but thought it might be nice to have a thread to post our favourite baking recipes- cakes, cookies, tray bakes etc. Sorry if there is one already.

Will dig mine out at some point.

#2 mummybear

mummybear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I look forward to reading this when it gets going cause I love baking! my favourite baking recipe has to be my chocolate chip cookies 4oz butter/marg 4oz light muscovado sugar 1tbsp golden syrup and 6oz self raising flour and a bag of chocolate chips. Heat oven to 180. Beat together sugar and buter then beat in the golden syrup. Add half the flour and mix then add the rest of the flour and the chocolate chips mix to form a dough. Divide into 12 roll into balls and flatten slightly then cook for 12-15 mins. Be prepared for people to accuse you of buying them :)
Me(31!) DH(53) DS/D(15) DD1(12) DD2(9) DD3(4yrs 5months)

#3 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

That's very similar to our most frequently used cookie recipe. We add different bits and add a smidge of bicarb.

#4 Maria

Maria

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

this could go in the low Gi section but putting it here ...I make these a lot as great as a breakfast / snack and do not raise my blood sugars

Parmesan / dried tomatoes/ basil muffins - Makes 6 smallish muffins

55g greek yoghourt
55g buttery spread or softened butter
a level tsp baking powder
2 eggs
85g ground almonds
35g grated parmesan
3 dried tomatoes chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
( can use any combination of any ingredient actually )

Heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350F, 180C.
Put the yoghurt and buttery spread or softened butter into a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
Fold in the ground almonds and baking powder, when well combined fold in the parmesan dried toms and basil.
Spoon into muffin cases (I have those silicone ones which are fab!).
Bake for around 18 - 20 mins

1.5g carb per muffin - bargain!

Love P xx

Called To Serve

Dh 59, Me 53, Ds 31, Dd1 27, Dd2 22, Dd3 19. :) GS 3

#5 Mummyminister

Mummyminister

On eagle's wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I have a version of those ground almond based muffins which have bacon in for flavouring and which cook in the microwave v quickly. Must make them again.
My current favourite recipe is a wheat (and can be dairy) free choc brownies - the ground almonds make the texture much more foolproof than the usual flour based ones. Anywhere here goes:
225g dark cooking choc (orig recipe says 70% cocoa solids min but I've made successfully with cheaper 55%. If making dairy free check choc ingrediants)
225g butter (or marg or dairy free spread (have had success with all 3)
Melt together on low heat and stir in 200g caster sugar and 2 tspns vanilla essence)
Allow to cool a little and add 3 beaten eggs and 150g ground almonds. Optionally add 100 g chopped nuts or white choc chips or dried fruit. Pour into greased and lined tin (I use a small roasting tin abt half the size of a normal roasting tin. Basically mixture needs to come abt half way up the sides)
Bake 25-30 mins at 170 C until top is crusted and underneath no longer feels runny. It will still be v sqidgy but that's fine as it hardens as it cools. Mark into squares (I make 24 small bits as it is v rich) and leave in tin to cool (they won't stick if you've lined the tin. Unlined you might be better off extracting them while still warm but be prepared for lots of breakages in that case!)

me 45, dd 12, adult adopted daughters dR and dS, cats Casper and Fern. 

15421145580_c93e243465_t.jpg

Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength

they shall rise upon wings as eagles

they shall run and not be weary

they shall walk and not faint

help us Lord, help us Lord in your way

#6 Cullie

Cullie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

chocolate chip cookies 4oz butter/marg 4oz light muscovado sugar 1tbsp golden syrup and 6oz self raising flour and a bag of chocolate chips.

How big is a bag of choc chips in grams if possible. Thanks

DH, ME, DS 12

#7 suem

suem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

generally 150g

#8 Fru

Fru

• PipPipPip
  • 71,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Can't find any cake recipe threads, so posting here the recipe for the orange cake I mentioned in the teatime thread recently. Do share any lovely cake recipes that you might have, too! :D

Edited to add: Thanks for bumping this favourite baking recipes thread, Cullie! Now merged together!

Honey, orange and almond cake (from Weight Watchers leaflet no. 07 SKU 203142)

Ingredients:
½ tsp low fat spread for greasing
6 eggs, separated
100g sugar
Grated zest of 3 oranges, and juice of ½ orange
150g ground almonds

To decorate:
juice of 1 ½ oranges
2 tbspn clear honey
1 orange, peeled & cut into thin rounds

1. Preparations: Preheat oven to gas mark 4 / 180 degrees / fan 160 degrees
Grease 20cm / 8” round container (recipe says springform, I used ‘floppy one’ but either way, it needs to be quite deep. Standard 8” sandwich tin too shallow)
2. In bowl, beat together egg yolks, sugar, orange zest & juice of ½ orange and the ground almonds.
3. Whisk egg whites in separate clean, grease-free bowl until stiff and peaks form. Using metal spoon, fold 1 spoonful into the cake mix to loosen it, then fold in remaining egg whites. (However, I added a little to start with, then continued using mixer to add it all – very voluminous!)
4. Bake 30 – 40 mins, or until skewer comes out clean. Recipe says leave in tin to cool for 20 mins – but I turned mine out right away and it was fine.
5. For topping: put orange juice and honey in small pan, bring to boil, stir once, cook without stirring for 6-8 mins, until reduced and syrupy.
6. Put cake on serving plate. Prick the top all over with a fork or skewer, then spoon ¾ of the syrup all over the top. Arrange the orange slices on top of the cake, and spoon the remaining syrup over the top. Leave to soak into the cake for a few minutes before serving in 10 slices.
Delicious! I served mine with half fat crème fraiche or cream.

I made the cake the night before it was needed, and did the topping as I was cooking the meal which is was pudding for. It has kept really well – last slice tonight just as good as the first, after 3 days!

Edited by Fru, 22 February 2013 - 09:27 PM.
to explain the merge of two threads!

Dh 55; Me 51; ds1 24 (aslan); ds2 22; dd 18 (narnia); Cats Midnight and Meadow

#9 Cullie

Cullie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

The thread is called favorite baking recipes and has just been pushed on to page 2 of the practical forum. I know cause I was hunting for it today to find mummybears cookie recipe which I can now recommend.:)

DH, ME, DS 12

#10 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I need to oust my flapjack recipe :)

#11 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Oops post!!

#12 karen3

karen3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

This one cullie :)

#13 Fru

Fru

• PipPipPip
  • 71,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Ah, I'll merge these threads then. Thanks cullie!

ETA: merged! Thanks :D

Edited by Fru, 22 February 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Dh 55; Me 51; ds1 24 (aslan); ds2 22; dd 18 (narnia); Cats Midnight and Meadow

#14 lucym

lucym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I look forward to reading this when it gets going cause I love baking! my favourite baking recipe has to be my chocolate chip cookies 4oz butter/marg 4oz light muscovado sugar 1tbsp golden syrup and 6oz self raising flour and a bag of chocolate chips. Heat oven to 180. Beat together sugar and buter then beat in the golden syrup. Add half the flour and mix then add the rest of the flour and the chocolate chips mix to form a dough. Divide into 12 roll into balls and flatten slightly then cook for 12-15 mins. Be prepared for people to accuse you of buying them :)

:D was just about to ask for a choc chip cookie recipe :) Thanks Mummybear :wub:
<p>dh 36 me 36 dd1 7, dd2 3

#15 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

I tried a Mary berry chocolate traybake this weekend - it was lovely! Very chocolatey and very light! Will post when on my laptop.

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#16 lucym

lucym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Made the cookies. Amazing. Thank you. Going to have a battle with dd1 after school to get her to stop at one! :D
<p>dh 36 me 36 dd1 7, dd2 3

#17 Cullie

Cullie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

We made them on Friday and they all went by Monday :-D

DH, ME, DS 12

#18 Noo

Noo

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

That long :lol: - they wouldn't last more than a day here.

Me 48 DH 58 DD 23 DS1 20 DS2 13

#19 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,856 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Have just discovered these ... I feel as if I have been looking for this recipe for years! It's perfect :lol:

BEST EVER PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

130g crunchy peanut butter
110g salted butter at room temp
100g granulated sugar
100g light soft brown sugar
1 egg
180g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarb

Makes 24

Preheat oven to 180oC/gas mark 4/fan 160oC

Line baking trays with parchment or silicon.

Put the peanut butter, butter, sugars and egg into a food processor and blend until combined (or beat together by hand). Add the dry ingredients and beat again.

Roll teaspoon sized pieces into balls and place on baking trays. Space them out as they will spread. Use a floured fork to flatten balls slightly.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges turn golden. Allow to cook on baking trays for 5mins before transferring to a cooking rack.

NB - the final cookies will each contain 125-150 kcal so these cookies are not for those who are counting the calories!

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My Blog The Hen Garden Recipe Book
DH = Josiah; two girls all grown up; and my mother who now lives with us.
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#20 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Or those allergic to peanuts! :D

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users