144 replies to this topic

#141 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Lovely day today... I was on creche with 5 gorgeous little girls and then this afternoon we went to a community remembrance service. We are the only church in our 'parish' so we're asked to lead the parish council service - very formal with flags and bugles but a great gospel message too! The kids were great and sat through the service so well.

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#142 Barbara

Barbara

Loved by God - Praise Him!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,461 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

Our service was full of uniformed organisations and, like yours, the children were very good.

Barbara

Mum to 3, mum-in-law to 3, grandma to 4
No longer a cube but very happy about it!

#143 Noo

Noo

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 9,446 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

I needed to work this morning so missed the main service - unfortunately while I wasn't there there were some problems with the computer so they had to resort to giving out hymn books.

This evening we had a memorial service to remember loved ones who have died - a good few turned up and it made a change to have traditional hymns played on the organ. I was operating the computer tonight so thankful there weren't any further problems.

Most people went up to light candles to remember people but I didn't - I think it's a good symbolic act but both my parents thought it was a silly idea and would have been horrified at the thought of someone doing that in their memory one day.

Me 48 DH 58 DD 23 DS1 20 DS2 13

#144 Barbara

Barbara

Loved by God - Praise Him!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,461 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

Fair enough - I usually opt out as well!

Barbara

Mum to 3, mum-in-law to 3, grandma to 4
No longer a cube but very happy about it!

#145 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,820 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Our Remembrance service is open air in the local park by the war memorial. It's grown over the years and we now have a military parade as well as the local scout and cadet troops. Lots of elderly folk from the nearby nursing homes come out and DH gets to share the gospel simply, through a couple of readings as he leads the service. There's a lot of standing around and lengthy times of quiet ... and one dear woman near me had two girls with her, one of whom simply couldn't be quiet ... I don't think there was anything wrong, she looked quite happy, but she was keening all the time ... her Mum tried to quiet her but couldn't. I wonder if there was something 'wrong' with the little one, since the mother seemed used to it, so I tried to smile and sympathise with a look ... the mum was clearly determined not to move away. 

But it was so very distracting as the child was the only noise we could hear through the whole time we were there :blush: !

Other than that, it is always a simple and profoundly moving ceremonial occasion. Last year I stood behind a woman who had been widowed when her husband died in, I think, Afghanistan. I overheard her story through various conversations and greetings. This year, I noticed she brought and presented a wreath. I didn't see her children this year though. 

<3

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My Blog The Hen Garden Recipe Book
DH = Josiah; two girls all grown up; and my mother who now lives with us.
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users