9 replies to this topic

#1 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

I have been asked to update our church's missionary board, but also to develop it and how the church includes support for missionaries in it's regular worship. I'd love to know what other churches do, so please share with me!

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#2 Ju

Ju

All blessings from our Lord God!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,366 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Remember there is mission at home. I think what we do in inner city birmingham is mission!

Ju beautiful, amazing dd 13yo fabulous, gorgeous ds 4yo

We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.

(Mandela/Williamson)

#3 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

I know Ju, but we have a specific board for the missionaries who have been sent and supported by the church. One of them does work in Leicester so is local!

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#4 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,712 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

We were fortunate that one of our missionary couples had parents living locally, so came to visit once a year from South America. It was lovely to get to know them. That no longer happens, but it really helped.

Can you try Skyping them during a prayer meeting or adopt them as in a small group?

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My CM blog The Hen Garden Photo blog
DH = Josiah; two girls both at Uni
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#5 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,712 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Of course, the best way is to go and visit them 'on the ground' as it were ... ;)

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My CM blog The Hen Garden Photo blog
DH = Josiah; two girls both at Uni
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#6 Noo

Noo

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 9,378 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

We used to have a regular pattern of having the prayers in the service focussing on mission organisations (both local and overseas) once a month, and also having regular (4 or 5 a year) visiting speakers from missionary organisations of all kinds.

We've been connected with a couple in Peru for a long time, and they come to visit when they are in the UK which is normally every couple of years or so.

We also had displays with newsletters etc from the various organisations we support (10% of the church's income is given to mission organisations, a mixture of local and overseas).

Me 48 DH 58 DD 23 DS1 20 DS2 13

#7 Ju

Ju

All blessings from our Lord God!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,366 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

World map, photo of the missionaries where they are with blurb and specific prayer requests?

Ju beautiful, amazing dd 13yo fabulous, gorgeous ds 4yo

We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.

(Mandela/Williamson)

#8 Cullie

Cullie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

Not part of regular worship but my previous church used to have a themed meal once a year around the country the mission was based in eg France, Peru etc.
Another thing we had was a French Breakfast before the service once a month Coffee and croissants and prayer for the 2 French churches we had links with.

DH, ME, DS 12

#9 Barbara

Barbara

Loved by God - Praise Him!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,875 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

It's only since we moved here that our church has started supporting a missionary and the advantage for us is that her 94 year old mother lives in the parish so she comes back every couple of years and spends time with us.   It is such a 'new' venture for the church that we don't need to do much to raise her profile!

I like the idea of a themed meal

Barbara

Mum to 3, mum-in-law to 3, grandma to 4
No longer a cube but very happy about it!

#10 erica

erica

follower

• Homegroup
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,252 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Each week we pray within the prayers for one of our mission partners. Whoever is leading prayers gets in contact to get up to date requests. Once a month we have a 'bite size' bit of the service which may be about an upcoming event, or someone talking about what they will be doing 'this time tomorrow' and sometimes we have a live link to missionaries abroad, or an interview with a local missionary.

We have personal links with all our missionaries and all of our missionaries have had visits from some one in the congregation ( friends/gap year trips/ mission agency team) this helps to keep good contact.

Erica
"God is strong and can help you not to fall.....To him be glory..... now and forever"Jude 24-25, (NCV)

me 42 dd1 15 ds 12 dd2 8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users