Photo

What is new in baby care and equipment?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RamblingRose

RamblingRose

A bumbling Christian who often falls flat on her face!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me all the latest baby care advice etc?

When my own girls were babies, we weaned them at three months old. However, I understand that it is different nowadays - what is the current advice?

Dh and I have offered to buy the pram/ pushchair for dgb1 (Due in January). Any recommendations regarding the brand and or model?

Rambling Rose

Married to my lovely Dh,

mum to 2 fabulous grown-up daughters

& 1 naughty cat

#2 RamblingRose

RamblingRose

A bumbling Christian who often falls flat on her face!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Ps, would you recommend baby wearing?

Rambling Rose

Married to my lovely Dh,

mum to 2 fabulous grown-up daughters

& 1 naughty cat

#3 erica

erica

follower

• Homegroup
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,242 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

Congratulations RR

Pram - will it need to fit in a car? If so that is your first criterion as they don't all fold as small as one may like!!! Does it need to have a car seat as part of the 'system' or will they have a separate car seat.

Car seat - recommendation is they are significantly safer if rear facing up to 4 years. Worth bearing in mind when buying a car seat.

Baby wearing - loved it with dd2 and now do itvwoth some of my mindees. Would highly recommend. Lots of beautiful slings out there - but also easy to make your own ( for a fraction of the cost!!!!)

Weaning - recommended at 6 months now. And baby led weaning ( i.e. Forget purée stage) is sooo much simpler ( imho)

Erica
"God is strong and can help you not to fall.....To him be glory..... now and forever"Jude 24-25, (NCV)

me 42 dd1 15 ds 12 dd2 8

#4 Ju

Ju

All blessings from our Lord God!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

I got a Quinny zapp with maxi cosi car seat for ds. Though I continued to use the pushchair for 2/3+ years, the car seat lasted less time (9 months)

Re slings, I loved my kozy Mei tai one. For a few weeks I needed another sling. Q and Bec also wear/wore their small people.

Ju beautiful, amazing dd 13yo fabulous, gorgeous ds 4yo

We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.

(Mandela/Williamson)

#5 earthmama

earthmama

F.R.O.G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,543 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

I wore dd4 and we both loved it even now if she's tired and she wants to sleep she will cuddle up to me and fall asleep in minutes.

Another fan of baby led weaning here I did it with the last 2 so much easier. Dd4 's first taste of food was a pain au chocolate on Christmas morning ❤️

Me 43 Dh 49 Ds1 20 Ds2 18 Ds3 16 Dd1 13 Dd2 10 DD3 6 DD4 my baby is 4! cat Pippin :nature-smiley-001:,Psalm 127: 4-5

#6 Ju

Ju

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Ds' first food was a spare rib stolen off my plate and a chilli pepper that I'd left. Followed by a wedge of lemon.

(Mandela/Williamson)

#7 earthmama

earthmama

F.R.O.G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,543 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

:D

Me 43 Dh 49 Ds1 20 Ds2 18 Ds3 16 Dd1 13 Dd2 10 DD3 6 DD4 my baby is 4! cat Pippin :nature-smiley-001:,Psalm 127: 4-5

#8 Ju

Ju

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

You could call it baby led weaning!!

(Mandela/Williamson)

#9 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,934 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Congratulations on your grand baby-to-be!

Baby wearing is lovely, but can be hard on your back. I could never do housework etc wearing a baby, as I found it so awkward, even though I know some mums can. They are expensive - try eBay or a sling library to try before you buy. That sounds quite negative, but I do wear babies for church, walks when there are steps and always have one with me! I like Ergo slings for being good on the back, but have a slight second and two cheap knock-offs (for each car) after I lost mine.

Prams are stupidly expensive. A lot of first time mums spend a small fortune on a big system and then end up buying a small light one. I've only had double buggies for a while (phill and ted is the only one any good). 

Baby led weaning is wonderfully lazy. Milk only until 6 months, then let them pinch food from you until they eat enough to have their own plate.

Bumbo - great for pre-sitting.

Jumperoo - fun for bouncing - like a doorway bouncer, but free standing and with toys.

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

#10 Alips

Alips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

i'd disagree about the phil and teds i HATE the underneath seat. horses for courses i guess :) , i just managed to source a double mountain buggy (sideby side) for a friend and its a dream to push, we couldnt afford one when we needed a double lol.

agree about the pushchair needing to go in the car, and like Erica said rear facing for as long as possible, but bear in mind that if the car seat is part of a pushchair system the current advice is not to spend more than about 30mins in a car seat at a time so would be better transferred to the pushchair part. 

pushchairs car be picked up fairly cheaply from facebooks local buy sell sites, be v careful about the car seat though. 

Current advice for weaning is 6 months

making bottles advice has changed fairly recently too, to be made as you need them with boiling water and cooled down. 

Alison
DH 45, Dd1 20, Ds1 17, Ds2 16 Dd2 16

#11 EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Seeking Union

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Makes me laugh the changes on advice. I recall an older woman suggesting I supplement my very hungry two month old with baby rice in the bottle. (I was breastfeeding!) How that would have worked I don't know!
And my mum was taught, in contrast to modern advice on demand feeding and bonding, that babies needed at least an hour a day in a pram at the end of the garden, whatever the weather. I'm surprised anyone survived to the modern age!

Dh 44 Me 40 Dd1 15 Dd2 13 Dd3 11 Ds 9
hp1.gifAslan is on the move!

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Whether we like it or not - We are LOVED; Fr. Thomas Hopko.

#12 JulietJoy

JulietJoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Lots of good baby kit can be bought second hand at NCT nearly new sales.  You can find them on the NCT website.

Lots of people don't find travel systems that much use after a few months as they're so bulky. A good folding pushchair is a worthwhile investment as it gets used for many years. If I was buying again I'd buy a second hand travel system and spend my money on a good folding pushchair (practise folding it with one hand though as you'll have a baby in the other!).

High chairs with lots of padding are just food traps. I was always jealous of my friend's basic ikea one. She used to just put it in the shower to clean it - so practical!

Sling libraries are good - so you can try before you buy. 

Washable nappies are very different now - shaped like disposables, quick drying and used with disposable liners. I think I saved about £1000 over the time that mine were in nappies - even taking into account the water and detergent etc.

The best thing I ever bought was something like this:

https://www.cutebaby...ant=32077750532

It meant I could just grab that and my purse, phone and keys and go if I was just popping out for a bit. It also fitted into a large handbag for days when I didn't want to cart a big changing bag around.

#13 Ju

Ju

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

We have the basic IKEA highchair. It's fab!

(Mandela/Williamson)

#14 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,934 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:35 AM

Another IKEA fan here! All their baby furniture is relatively compact, which I like.

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users