9 replies to this topic

#1 EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Seeking Union

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,586 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

GK Chesterton said something along the lines that Nature is not our Mother, but our sister, because we share the same Father. Thus we share much and should take care of each other, but she has no authority over us.

We are surely called to look after creation. I was wondering in my general ponderments, what you feel called to do in your little sphere to look after the world God has given us?
Dh 44 Me 40 Dd1 15 Dd2 13 Dd3 11 Ds 10

hp1.gifAslan is on the move!

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Whether we like it or not - We are LOVED; Fr. Thomas Hopko.

#2 Barbara

Barbara

Loved by God - Praise Him!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

I can't say that I do much more than recycling as much as I can and using my own bags for shopping.

Barbara

Mum to 3, mum-in-law to 3, grandma to 4
No longer a cube but very happy about it!

#3 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

I garden ... mostly organically, but that's not a deliberate strategy, it's simply that we keep hens so have plenty of natural fertiliser!

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My CM blog The Hen Garden Photo blog
DH = Josiah; two girls both at Uni
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#4 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,992 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:39 AM

Like Barbara, I recycle. I try not to litter or waste things. I like to buy used not be when I can. It doesn't feel like very much, really.

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

#5 Noo

Noo

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

I feel hugely challenged by this. My main concern is the amount of rubbish we generate, especially now we have to put all our food waste (including peelings) into the black bin.
Last week I decided to try and take lunch to work rather than buy it to reduce packaging waste, but when I tried to buy the ingredients to make something similar I realised there were held be a similar amount of packaging. So it's back to Marmite sandwiches for me ...

Me 48 DH 58 DD 23 DS1 20 DS2 13

#6 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Has your system changed then? We've just gone to fortnightly collections :( Peelings are fine as we run a compost bin or three ... but we found a dead mouse yesterday, and it's going to be sitting in the dustbin for two weeks before collection :o

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My CM blog The Hen Garden Photo blog
DH = Josiah; two girls both at Uni
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#7 Barbara

Barbara

Loved by God - Praise Him!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,905 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

We've gone to fortnightly collections too and our recycling bin takes many more types of item and no longer needs to be sorted

Barbara

Mum to 3, mum-in-law to 3, grandma to 4
No longer a cube but very happy about it!

#8 Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

Christian, Mum, Franciscan Tertiary, Geek & Governor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,677 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Fortnightly rubbish and weekly recycling collection here. Our car is a hybrid & DH is waiting until there are enough charge points/ there is enough battery life to make a journey to his folks and we'll switch to electric. We use public transport whenever possible and I walk a lot, too. We try to re-use whenever we can as well as recycle and we repair if possible too

AMO - Where no Mum has gone before!Posted Image

Mum to DS 24/03/03 and DD 29/09/05

#9 EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Seeking Union

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,586 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

I'm making a concerted effort to use less plastic. We never but 5p bags at the shops anymore, we always take our tough resusables. I use non microbead exfoliation on my face and body. We recycle loads, but I do get cross with the amount of packaging on things. We hardly eat any meat these days. Charity shop for clothes, and making donations there too. Trying to move away from conspicuous consumption, really.
Dh 44 Me 40 Dd1 15 Dd2 13 Dd3 11 Ds 10

hp1.gifAslan is on the move!

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Whether we like it or not - We are LOVED; Fr. Thomas Hopko.

#10 Annie

Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

It does seem that how much you can do depends on where you live! I try to recycle as much as possible but I know from friends that a lot of councils seem to be much better than ours which is frustrating.

I try to always have my resuable  bags with me and cut down on packaging. I give away as much on Freegle as I can. Trying to cut down on the amount of stuff I buy as well. I try to walk and use public transport where possible, although that's not great here, and we do lots of lift sharing when it comes to the children's activities.

John 14:2

DS1 14 yrs DS2 12 yrs DS3 9 yrs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users