21 replies to this topic

#1 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

Has anyone done an open house type of Christmas event for friends and neighbours? If so how did you do it? What worked and what didn't work? This is our first Christmas in this house and we'd like to try something!

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#2 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,820 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Used to do them every year - at first people came out of curiosity, but actually, just before Christmas is too busy for most, so we changed it to New Year (towards the end of January) and it worked far better!

Food on a table, drinks on another table, music in the background, space to move around - sit back and see what happens. Here, people always want to contribute, so we used to end up with more wine than we started with, and a few interesting foodstuffs, but it all adds up to an evening of fun :)

Oh, and I nearly always ended up with an additional walking stick or umbrella, some of which were never claimed :533: :D

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My Blog The Hen Garden Recipe Book
DH = Josiah; two girls all grown up; and my mother who now lives with us.
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

#3 Barbara

Barbara

Loved by God - Praise Him!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,461 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

:lol:

We haven't done it for Christmas but did it for our Golden Wedding.   Drinks in the kitchen, cakes and/or savouries on the dining room table and everything self-service.   We find that telling people to sort out their own food/drinks relaxes them and makes them feel at home!

Barbara

Mum to 3, mum-in-law to 3, grandma to 4
No longer a cube but very happy about it!

#4 JulietJoy

JulietJoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

We have in the past. We found it easier to say what they were getting ("pop in between 3 and 7 for a mince pie and some mulled wine") otherwise they might think they'really getting a big spread. We always state that children are welcome. Some toys left out helps.

We try to introduce people if they don't know each other. A friend of ours usually partfully completes a jigsaw and leaves it out on the table. She reckons people get on better if they have something to do!

#5 JulietJoy

JulietJoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Partfully = partially.

My phone is now inventing words...

#6 Blessed By His Grace

Blessed By His Grace

Blessed by His Grace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,085 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

I can't see me inviting any neighbours here! But I'd love to do an open house, I might nab some ideas and try something before the new year. Possibly. I'm doing a lot socially in December so I may not have the energy. It's a great idea though.
Mum to 3 adult children in their 20's and Nana to an adorable 2 year old granddaughter. Also Mum to a nutty Golden Retriever and 2 lovely but independent felines. <br><br>
Life is often a daily struggle but thanks to friends and the Sams I muddle through.

#7 JulietJoy

JulietJoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

I'm planning a ladies' swaps party after new year. I invite people to bring their unwanted gifts, toiletries, clothes, books etc. and hopefully swap them for something they prefer.

It's free so it appeals when people are short of cash. Most people have a toiletries set they don't like or a candle that isn't their thing so most can participate.

I've done one in January for years and they've always gone down well.

#8 Blessed By His Grace

Blessed By His Grace

Blessed by His Grace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,085 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:35 AM

Apart from sorting the 3 children's presents which need creating, and buying a joint birthday/Christmas present for my god I think I've got everything Christmas wise now. It helps that I'm going minimalistic this year and only buying for my direct line of family below me (ie not my siblings or their children) and I hope to wrap this coming week so I know it's all done and I can put Christmas to the back of my mind for almost 2 months.

I'm not even going to glance at the January sales either. A minimalistic life is one without stress, no idea why I didn't go this way sooner, it's not as if I was brought up in any other way either! I think it started because xh earnt so much which goes to prove that money doesn't buy happiness.
Mum to 3 adult children in their 20's and Nana to an adorable 2 year old granddaughter. Also Mum to a nutty Golden Retriever and 2 lovely but independent felines. <br><br>
Life is often a daily struggle but thanks to friends and the Sams I muddle through.

#9 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,081 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

Gosh, that is very organised!

I've not got far with sorting anything or ideas even. I want to simplify and take as much stress out as possible. With the numbers of kids, and the amount  of stuff they already have, even choosing one gift each isn't easy. 

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

#10 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,820 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Having Mum in the house means I don't have a single inch of space to buy/hide presents!! I used to have a drawer ... and a place to keep wrapping paper etc. but no longer :( 

So it will be unusually interesting this year :D

#11 Barbara

Barbara

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

That's hard!   It's good to know your mum is safe with you but adjusting must be very hard work.

Barbara

#12 Blessed By His Grace

Blessed By His Grace

Blessed by His Grace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,085 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Wrapping paper is in a corner of my bedroom. 90% of the contents of my house is in my bedroom! Hence barely being able to make it to the bed.

I'm not at all organised, so far I have one Christmas present Dipsy, but because I am giving so little this year I do know what my few recipients are getting. The thing I am creating for my children is likely to take weeks to do so I need to start it soon.

I'm not looking forward to Christmas this year.

#13 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,820 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

That's hard!   It's good to know your mum is safe with you but adjusting must be very hard work.

More than I expected, though I was fairly realistic about it :rolleyes:

#14 Barbara

Barbara

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Apart from Christmas cakes I haven't done anything.

Barbara

#15 Noo

Noo

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 9,446 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

We've started practising for a Carol Service at choir,  and I've looked up the readings for Christmas morning because I'm preaching.

Practical preparations will no doubt be left to the last couple of weeks, as normal - I only have immediate family to 'buy for' so can get away with this.

Me 48 DH 58 DD 23 DS1 20 DS2 13

#16 Blessed By His Grace

Blessed By His Grace

Blessed by His Grace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,085 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

Today my Asda shop came with 6 boxes of ferrero rocher (3 boxes for £10) and 6 bottles of NSPA and 6 bottles of 175ml wine which is all my friends here and 2 dil's presents sorted. I did assure the delivery driver that the ferrero rocher are presents and I've not ordered 6 boxes to eat myself but he says he's done nothing but deliver that many boxes to almost every customer as people think of Christmas presents so he instantly believed me!

#17 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,820 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

I've just been through my Christmas piles (all scattered around the bedroom since I no longer have any space to set aside!) and I think I'm done for the DDs, but need to think again re DH and possibly Mum :sigh: VBF is sorted, VBF2 had hers months ago (!) and I don't really buy for anyone else, though I may have to prompt DH to get organised for the godsons (which are his responsibility - the goddaughters are all grown up now so I don't give any more).

#18 mummy

mummy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

So.....it's time to start thinking about Christmas? But it's not until next month!

God is good all the time...all the time God is good!

#19 Cullie

Cullie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 PM

I Ordered the turkey yesterday and the stuffing is made and in the freezer.   I've even made a timetable of what i need to do each weekend before Christmas .... but I'll still be stressing out  and doing my headless chicken impression as you actually have to do what's on the list!  (Like write the cards) 

DH, ME, DS 12

#20 Barbara

Barbara

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

I like the sound of the fact that the turkey is ordered!!   (As you know, if you need anything done ...)

Barbara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users