5 replies to this topic

#1 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

https://www.theguard...pling-addiction

In this age of smart phones, what age is appropriate for our children to have one, and what should we be doing to help them control their use? 

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

#2 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

I read something recently which challenged me... most parents give their child a phone when they go to secondary school or around the age of 13 (age limit for a lot of social media), but this is the age when they are most at risk from peer pressure and increasingly independent from parents. This article suggested that I'd if we gave children phones earlier and taught them healthy habits and choices whilst we still have greater influence over them then we can have greater effect.
It did get me thinking... I'll try and find the article.

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#3 BecD

BecD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

http://theselittlewa...y-child-a-phone

Me and DH, DD (5) and DS (3)

2017 – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”” Lamentations 3:22-24

#4 Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

Christian, Mum, Franciscan Tertiary, Geek & Governor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,931 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

We gave DD one when she asked to take more care of the dog. It enables us to contact her, and her to contact us when she's walking him and she is very good at doing this, including when she quietly called DH from behind a bush where she was hiding from bullies last summer.

It's mostly for whats app because she has so many messages on there there isn't storage for anything else! She knows we look at it to check things but also that we won't pry unnecessarily. Whats app is enabling her to keep in touch with friends from primary school who haven't gone to her secondary school.

She also has a tablet which is mostly used for Netflix and you tube. She is signed in on you tube as me via gmail and I have safe search on and can allow or remove you tube sites, websites etc easily as a result. The adult Netflix account is password protected so she only has access to the kids section and shows (she mostly watches cartoons)

She started to use a site - the name of which I forget - which Dh spotted as new, so he looked at it and it involved sharing location and other info so he explained why that made her vulnerable. She had already had teaching at school on internet safety and immediately understood - what she hadn't done was check whether this site collected/used that data. She has now learnt.

AMO - Where no Mum has gone before!Posted Image

Mum to DS 24/03/03 and DD 29/09/05

#5 Dipsy

Dipsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

That's an interesting article. It is certainly something to consider in with everything else.

One thing I'm thrilled to have finally worked out how to do, it is to set time limits for internet to selected phones on the router. My teens don't have data at all, so no internet limits them a fair bit. Although, of course, they can always download games, films, music etc while the internet works for them.  :rolleyes:

14836591608_6a4ca3f114_o.jpg

Mum to : dd1 20yrs ds1 18 yrs dd2 15 yrs ds2 13 yrs dd3 11yrs ds3 9 yrs dd4 7 yrs ds4 5yrs dd5 3 yrs, dd6 1yrs

easterline.gif

#6 hepzibah

hepzibah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,859 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

I tried recently to set a timer to turn the router off ... but can only block certain channels :( It was very complicated!

gallery_376_7_1282.jpg hepzibah xx
My Blog The Hen Garden Recipe Book
DH = Josiah; two girls all grown up; and my mother who now lives with us.
And the rest of the family - our various cats and hens  ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users